Monday, August 2, 2010

Resume TMI

Holy TMI (that's Too Much Information for those of you who don't live to text in short hand - aka, me). Late last week I got a request from a journalist for my input on an article about Resume TMI. As I sat down to write my response I had three distinct feelings come over me.

First, happiness because some of the things I see are so funny you can help but laugh. Second, sadness because you know as a career industry professional that a resume with this information will never get anywhere but File 13 (a.k.a. - the trash). Third, gratitude that we found each other someway whether it was through a search engine, LinkedIn, Twitter or word of mouth and now they have a resume that shows the rest of the world what I knew within minutes of talking to them - they are amazing, highly qualified people that just had wacky resumes.

Why am I sharing this with you? Reason #1. It's Monday and everyone could use a little Resume TMI on Monday.

Top 10 Resume TMI's (in no particular order):
1. Age 45 - listed directly under his name
2. Picture of bare leg and high heel with quote "this is what will get me in the door"
(she was applying for sales executive job, she didn't get it)
3. "Enjoy traveling abroad, golfing and competitive sports"
4. Every position held between 2010 and 1985. TMI for too many years
5. 15 page resume - all kinds of TMI on there
6. Pic of candidate in a bikini (oh yes, it's true)
7. Proud Step mom of two girls
8. Miss Coco, black chihuahua, 2 yrs old (listed under 'interests')
9. Vice President, St. Vincent's Catholic Church
10. Aunt, 4 nieces and 5 nephews

Are any of these things wrong? No. Are they all true? Yes. Do any of them belong on a Resume? NO!

In fact, most of them are legally protected classes. Parental status, age and religion are all protected classes for a reason and in each case above one of these candidates gave away a protected class that could have cost them the job.

More than just humor on a Monday, I share these with you because knowledge is power and we can all learn from others. If you're thing your resume has a case of the TMI's, check out Career Sudoku and make sure you end up with a Resume That Gets Results.

No comments:

Post a Comment