Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An Interview with the CEO of America's Top Employer

Given the downsizing from big business in America, I wanted to give you an inside view on what it takes to impress at the Top Employer in today's market. Who is that? Small Business.

If you haven't interviewed with a small business yet, there's a good chance you will in the course of your job search.  According to SCORE, the resource partner for U.S. Small Business Association and Counselor's to America's Small Business, you're likely to interview with a small business that you, your family and friends have never heard of before.

Today, small business is the #1 employer behind the U.S. government. Consider these facts:
  • Employ more than 50% of the U.S. private sector workforce (a.k.a. non-government employees)
  • Represent 99.7% of all employer firms
  • Hire 40% of all high-tech workers
I spent an hour with the CEO of one of the nation's leading biohazard companies, who had spent the afternoon in interviews. As we chatted over chips, guacamole and delightful margaritas at Frontera Grill in Chicago, I asked him about an interviewee's attire.  His response surprised me.

He said the first thing he looks at, if the guy is wearing a suit, is if it's tailored. If the suits not tailored, "forgettabout it." his words, not mine.

"If the guy comes in in a suit and it's not tailored? Come on. If the guy can't afford a nice, tailored suit it makes me think twice."

"The next thing I look at is his watch. Does he have a nice watch on?"

"Then I look at his shoes. Are they polished?"

"If he's got those three things going for him, he's probably going to do alright."

I chuckled and told him about Chapter 3, Impressive Interviews, in my book, Career Sudoku, and that I mention both the tailored suit and polished shoes. I go on to ask him about women since his answers seem to have focused entirely on men. He responds simply.

"It's nice if she's in a skirt and just looks good."

I prod a little further and ask if he means a tailored skirt suit and polished nails by "looks good" and he responds with "yeah, that's great."

"I look less at women's dress than I do at men. I'm a guy so I notice women more but most of the women I interview look good."

I just smiled as he ordered another round. Knowing he's a well-respected businessman that came from a Fortune 50 background, I'm confident that his comments are based in business rather than in sexual nature and it leads me to think that men need more pointers than women wen it comes to interview attire.

Guys, invest in a well-tailored suit or grab your current suit and get it tailored. If you're going to wear a watch, make sure it's a nice one or has the appearance of one and have your shoes freshly polished. Ladies, the same applies to us. Nicely tailored suit, simple accessories and polished shoes.

Look good for less tip: Nordstrom Men's Shoe Dept. does a killer job on polishing shoes, and it's reasonable, $5! Head to the men's dept, slip on those interview day shoes and look your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment